Peer to Peer Networking
Windows for Workgroups
On this page, I will describe how to set up a computer (that
is running Windows for Workgroups) in order to access and share resources
on a network. A Windows for Workgroups computer configured as described
below will be compatible with a Windows 95 or MS-Dos computer that is configured
as described in the Windows
95 and MS-Dos
- I will assume that you are starting out with no network installed.
- Open the `Network' program group and click `Network Setup'
- This will bring up a window that will look like the one below.
- Now click the radio button that says `Install Microsoft Windows Network:
Then hit OK.
- Click .
Check the appropriate boxes and hit OK.
- Click and
- Now, either select your network card or you can click
- After you have added your network adapter, you should be back in the
`Network Drivers' window. "Microsoft NetBEUI" should have been
automatically added to your driver list. If not, then click `Add Protocol'
and add it.
- Depending on your network adapter, you may need to click and
modify the Base I/O port and the Interrupt, etc.
- Hit OK until you are back in the main `Network Setup' window. Your
setup should now look something like this:
- Now, if you want others to be able to access your drives or directories,
you need to share them. In order to share a drive or directory, open `File
Manager' , select the drive you want to share, and then hit or
you can select `Share As' from the `Disk' menu.
- Now, hook up your computer to the network and you should be ready to
Send any questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org